NourNasreldin's avatar

NourNasreldin

DeNiro made me cry; thrice.
A beautiful, touching and sad film.
arunraj's avatar

arunraj

why this movie isn't in any lists???? beautiful movie n well acted by both Robert De Niro n Robin Williams
Eddyspeeder's avatar

Eddyspeeder

What a beautiful movie!

Recently I have been thinking about the Nietzsche quote "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." This movie proves that basing your opinion on such a casual stroll (taking things at first glance) does not prove anything either.
kartoffel's avatar

kartoffel

Well, that was solid and touching. Outstanding performances by De Niro and Williams.
metermouse's avatar

metermouse

Such a wonderful movie. I saw it when I was young and it really touched me.
DaRKN's avatar

DaRKN

Great acting By De Niro.

Does Awakenings count as a baseball movie? No? Ok, I guess not. Penny Marshall delivers a well-made "true events" medical mystery with an emotional foundation, but despite some strong performances by all involved, it never really avoids formulaic tropes. Lilting music signals a "heartwarming" period piece. Robin Williams offers one of his then-trademark dramatic performances, with very little comedy this time (Dr. Sayer is no Patch Adams), as a neurologist who initially has to convince the hospital and its donors that people with a very specific kind of catatonia are worth saving, among them Robert De Niro's character. At the end, we're supposed to take solace in the fact that while the true life stories didn't all end happily, at least the shy Sayer came out of his shell, a kind of upbeat irony. Like I said, the performances are unimpeachable (Julie Kavner is the secret MVP), but 35 years on, it doesn't distinguish itself a whole lot from similar fare.
1 month ago
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Terrific 90ies real life drama. Well acted, very moving. Hasn't lost it's power in 30 years.
2 months 4 weeks ago
OMERFT's avatar

OMERFT

I didn't feel like watching movie for this one.It felt real.
hyvaa's avatar

hyvaa

though i was not much amused still it's a nice movie to watch to say the least. To me summary of the whole movie would be ;
"There is no such thing as a simple miracle"
"Human spirit is more powerful than any drug"
GodPepper's avatar