jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Tremendous film! Probably one of - if not the - best coming-of-age films I've ever seen. Not to mention the extraordinary technical undertaking that was achieved. Loved it!
Vig's avatar

Vig

If this wins the oscar, hipsters will officially have taken over the country.
Alex Rogue's avatar

Alex Rogue

Overly long,dull and unimaginative.It was a pain watching it to the end,but I never give up on potential Oscar movies.The script is awful.It's a praise to typical, white American family and values,at the same time being disgustingly stereotypical.His mother discovering hidden abilities in a poor Mexican immigrant, when she, being an adult who had just finished studying, struggles to talk with him in Spanish? Really,Linklater,is that all that you've got?Along with overwhelming pathology as an alcoholic father-in-law?A lot of cheesy, uncomfortable moments, which, I felt, were inserted into the story, because there was no other idea to make it really interesting and special.This movie made me really uncomfortable, because it was so superficial. Boyhood is an uninvolving ode to nothing.And I couldn't stand the characters,Mason,his sister and mother.Struggling with delivering meaningless dialogues about the sense of life,blah, blah.They were painful to watch. The whole movie is blah blah in fact.But it catches the attention of critics and filmmakers because it has been filmed for 12 years and,as I said, it's a 3 hour long ode to Americanism (white Americanism).
acoltismypassport's avatar

acoltismypassport

The novelty of a decade plus of filming with the same characters (nothing new, by the way) wore off quite quickly, and what was left was essentially an average, to perhaps slightly better-than-average family drama. Can't understand the stellar reviews people are giving it. Were it not for Hawke's performance, I don't think I could've finished it.

I daresay dick-riding of this enormity can only be seen on IMDb's various Orson Welles' movie boards.
Chikamaharry's avatar

Chikamaharry

This movie is a fascinating concept. the fact that they actually were able to record this over 10 years still baffles me. And that the end result is this good. Amazing. It captures the emotions a family has to struggle with raising kids, though mostly focused on Mason. The act is stellar, and it seems like they cared for the character they portrayed. Kind of hard to say anything more, this is a movie you must experience. Be aware of a dialogue-driven movie, though. Not a lot of stuff "happens" in the normal sense.
GremVendetta's avatar

GremVendetta

Wow. I knew this was for me 5 minutes in when the main character was playing GameBoy and watching Dragon Ball Z on his bulky TV. Just wow.

I'm 22, grew up in the 90s and 2000s so this really... REALLY hit home on so many levels. I've never felt like I could relate to a movie so much, and this hits everything just right. We truly are defined by the relationships we build and break, the struggles and the milestones we make. And in the end, no one really has anything figured out.

But it's okay because that's the beauty of life. Let the moment seize us. Beautiful film.

Getting a lot of buzz for being filmed over 12 years, there IS some thrill to seeing actors age and grow up before your very eyes, but in a sense, that's not entirely different from Linklater's Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight cycle. Having it all in one film (until he makes Adulthood or something, I wouldn't put it past him to still be filming this story) is what makes it transcendent. Though entirely "slice of life" (or more properly, slices plural), the structural conceit shows an evolving world through the eyes of a Millennial, makes us ask questions about how one's personality is defined by the events of one's life, and is above all, TRUTHFUL. I can understand why Boyhood's critical opponents would call it plotless, or winge at the variable acting of its young stars, but I can't agree with them. Life is essentially "plotless", and yet we make narrative sense of what happens to us, and the film engages the audience on that level. Furthermore, Linklater surely didn't have a script all laid out 12 years ago, but shaped his story with his actors, how THEY changed, how the world changed from year to year, and taking what they could bring to their performances into account. If Ellar Coltrane isn't the most expressive actor, especially during his teens, well, neither is Mason, the character he plays, and so on. Though I'm of the parents' generation rather than Mason's, Boyhood put me in flashback mode right from the start. I, too, am from a broken home, have a sister, and spent some time in Texas as a kid (and the similarities don't end there), but I think everyone who's ever grown up (and that's all of us adults) will find truth here. And that's Boyhood's true power - it puts something we've all be through in a new context.
MrPredator's avatar

MrPredator

epic. one of the best movies ever made.
Joao_Carlos's avatar

Joao_Carlos

i waited 2 hours and 45 minutes for the beggining of the movie.. and.. nothing
God's avatar

God

this movie broke me
rilinddd's avatar

rilinddd

Great and everything but the rating should be 8.0 I dont think its for more
Tijnmans's avatar

Tijnmans

It is very good but overlong. In the last 30 minutes there were at least 4 places where it could have ended.
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Special little thing.
neonlampaa's avatar

neonlampaa

This movie is beautiful. And I love Ethan Hawke.
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

Disappointed with this 3 hour long film that says very little except for observing the passage of time and the ageing process. Hardly any dramatic content whatsoever, really can any family experience such mundane existences for over 12 years? I think not. The only mildly riveting chapter was spoiler - that's it.

I'm sure from the reviews of both critics and good people alike that this film does appeal and move tremendously, but it did absolutely nothing for me - and I really, really wanted it to be great too.

I might watch it again in a few years to see if I can take more from it, but for now it's a big, fat, meh