Pete Concrete's avatar

Pete Concrete

A boring film about boring people doing boring things in their boring lifes. The most mundane, banal and uninspired film ever to gain critical acclaim and popularity.
khoem's avatar

khoem

What more can be said, praising or otherwise, but.....did you notice the liquor store clerk was the same liquor store clerk from Dazed and Confused?
BigAwesomeBLT's avatar

BigAwesomeBLT

Really enjoyable. It reminded me of watching my brothers grow up.

There were some great little bits from random years I loved. "Solja Boi" in ~2007, Blink 182 playing near the beginning, Harry Potter book launches, Random teenage parties and picking a Uni.

Knowing roughly Mason Jr's age throughout meant the film felt a little long, but I'm sure that will change on further watches. I knew the movie was 2hr 40mins, so I had set aside time for it.

I'm a massive Linklater fan. I could see references to Slacker, Dazed and Confused and the Before trilogy throughout. LOVED the before-like long take when Mason is around 14/15, talking to the girl on the bike.

Hoping for a sequel in 12 years.
Diegogosf's avatar

Diegogosf

I had great expectations of the movie because all the reviewsI read said amazing things of the movie. In my personal opinion, I think the project is really great. They filmed through the years.. ok that was great but the plot, the story? I find it boring and predictable.
Another thing I don't understand how the actress won the golden globe and is nominated for the academy award, I think that if we look for other movies, we'll find quite better actresses to nominated as supporting role.
DonCorleone1208's avatar

DonCorleone1208

This is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Seriously, don't watch it. I'll give you a brief summary: kids grow up. Nothing happens. End of movie.
lmkmoviemaniac's avatar

lmkmoviemaniac

It's not just a movie but an experience seeing the lead character and all others, grow and mature over a span of 13 years ... Typical ‪‎Richard linklater‬ style feel-good 'coming of age' movie based on relationships and conversations. The idea clinches it!

Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater must feel so nostalgic seeing themselves on screen, from the stage of being kids to teens ... We have the ‪‎Linklater‬ constant ‪‎Ethan Hawke‬ adding his brand of charm as the dad. Nice soundtrack too ... The movie has some lovely dialogues which are so realistic and natural.

A true 'lifetime' film ... #‎RealCinema‬ ... ‪#‎Epic‬
jktomas's avatar

jktomas

Too much action and special effects, whole movie felt like a video game.
filmclub's avatar

filmclub

IDK, I found it kind of boring. I expected better from what I've heard.
mmobeso's avatar

mmobeso

I think this just became my favorite movie ever.
MilenaFlaherty's avatar

MilenaFlaherty

Fantastic. Funny, poignant, sad, wise, groundbreaking, what else can I say? All filmed in my home state, including two places I've lived. Linklater took a risk on this and delivered. I wonder if young filmmakers might be motivated to attempt something like this.

Each of the Antoine Doinel films were separate entities so comparing those with this or false equivalents.
andyreilly's avatar

andyreilly

Incredible film. I loved every second and can't wait to see it again. Fantastic.
woksin's avatar

woksin

This is certainly one of the most unique and compelling movies I have watched. I came in the theatre with much expectations, but I soon found out that it was far more interresting than I even dared to imagine!

10/10
turhank's avatar

turhank

I clapped, and clapped, and shouted bravo, and clapped some more in the movie theater!
toopsy's avatar

toopsy

a story about a semi-aspie bore boring up
Jace Lightner's avatar

Jace Lightner

I'm done. THIS IS JUST SPECTACULAR!!