Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

It would be fantastic if this movie gets the nominations that deserve and win awards that it deserves.
4.5/5
filmclub's avatar

filmclub

IDK, I found it kind of boring. I expected better from what I've heard.
aliveli452's avatar

aliveli452

movie of the year.
lmkmoviemaniac's avatar

lmkmoviemaniac

It's not just a movie but an experience seeing the lead character and all others, grow and mature over a span of 13 years ... Typical ‪‎Richard linklater‬ style feel-good 'coming of age' movie based on relationships and conversations. The idea clinches it!

Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater must feel so nostalgic seeing themselves on screen, from the stage of being kids to teens ... We have the ‪‎Linklater‬ constant ‪‎Ethan Hawke‬ adding his brand of charm as the dad. Nice soundtrack too ... The movie has some lovely dialogues which are so realistic and natural.

A true 'lifetime' film ... #‎RealCinema‬ ... ‪#‎Epic‬
memo1's avatar

memo1

So basically, if you had a similar childhood, the movie is great, if not...meh
God's avatar

God

this movie broke me
rilinddd's avatar

rilinddd

Great and everything but the rating should be 8.0 I dont think its for more
mmobeso's avatar

mmobeso

I think this just became my favorite movie ever.
acoltismypassport's avatar

acoltismypassport

The novelty of a decade plus of filming with the same characters (nothing new, by the way) wore off quite quickly, and what was left was essentially an average, to perhaps slightly better-than-average family drama. Can't understand the stellar reviews people are giving it. Were it not for Hawke's performance, I don't think I could've finished it.

I daresay dick-riding of this enormity can only be seen on IMDb's various Orson Welles' movie boards.
MilenaFlaherty's avatar

MilenaFlaherty

Fantastic. Funny, poignant, sad, wise, groundbreaking, what else can I say? All filmed in my home state, including two places I've lived. Linklater took a risk on this and delivered. I wonder if young filmmakers might be motivated to attempt something like this.

Each of the Antoine Doinel films were separate entities so comparing those with this or false equivalents.
Chikamaharry's avatar

Chikamaharry

This movie is a fascinating concept. the fact that they actually were able to record this over 10 years still baffles me. And that the end result is this good. Amazing. It captures the emotions a family has to struggle with raising kids, though mostly focused on Mason. The act is stellar, and it seems like they cared for the character they portrayed. Kind of hard to say anything more, this is a movie you must experience. Be aware of a dialogue-driven movie, though. Not a lot of stuff "happens" in the normal sense.
Liv Ullmann's avatar

Liv Ullmann

All positive comments and most favorite top list? Well, I don't quite understand. As most of people flatter this movie, I had great expectations on it, which vanished quickly. Case you like the steotypical stories about American ordinary life, you will love this. For the same reason, I didn't like it. I expected something bigger, but for me this was mediocre, and I didn't enjoy it at all. I found it predictable and conventional, nothing new (even have to say that I almost fall asleep). Though the first part of the story wasn't bad, when the boy's about 12 the film had not interest for me. I'm not saying this is a bad movie (obviously, I lack criterion to judge properly) but from my point of view the plot was slighly boring, because of the charachers mainly, which didn't work for me.

This is simply the way I see it. I tried so hard to enjoy this, but I just couldn't.
mysteryfan's avatar

mysteryfan

god save us from the Linklater fanboys

the movie was decent overall, but these pretentious fankids will over-rate this movie like it is better than Shawshank redemption lolz
andyreilly's avatar

andyreilly

Incredible film. I loved every second and can't wait to see it again. Fantastic.
woksin's avatar

woksin

This is certainly one of the most unique and compelling movies I have watched. I came in the theatre with much expectations, but I soon found out that it was far more interresting than I even dared to imagine!

10/10