danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Special little thing.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

life goes on, no matter what

GremVendetta's avatar

GremVendetta

Wow. I knew this was for me 5 minutes in when the main character was playing GameBoy and watching Dragon Ball Z on his bulky TV. Just wow.

I'm 22, grew up in the 90s and 2000s so this really... REALLY hit home on so many levels. I've never felt like I could relate to a movie so much, and this hits everything just right. We truly are defined by the relationships we build and break, the struggles and the milestones we make. And in the end, no one really has anything figured out.

But it's okay because that's the beauty of life. Let the moment seize us. Beautiful film.
neonlampaa's avatar

neonlampaa

This movie is beautiful. And I love Ethan Hawke.
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

Disappointed with this 3 hour long film that says very little except for observing the passage of time and the ageing process. Hardly any dramatic content whatsoever, really can any family experience such mundane existences for over 12 years? I think not. The only mildly riveting chapter was spoiler - that's it.

I'm sure from the reviews of both critics and good people alike that this film does appeal and move tremendously, but it did absolutely nothing for me - and I really, really wanted it to be great too.

I might watch it again in a few years to see if I can take more from it, but for now it's a big, fat, meh
toopsy's avatar

toopsy

a story about a semi-aspie bore boring up

Getting a lot of buzz for being filmed over 12 years, there IS some thrill to seeing actors age and grow up before your very eyes, but in a sense, that's not entirely different from Linklater's Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight cycle. Having it all in one film (until he makes Adulthood or something, I wouldn't put it past him to still be filming this story) is what makes it transcendent. Though entirely "slice of life" (or more properly, slices plural), the structural conceit shows an evolving world through the eyes of a Millennial, makes us ask questions about how one's personality is defined by the events of one's life, and is above all, TRUTHFUL. I can understand why Boyhood's critical opponents would call it plotless, or winge at the variable acting of its young stars, but I can't agree with them. Life is essentially "plotless", and yet we make narrative sense of what happens to us, and the film engages the audience on that level. Furthermore, Linklater surely didn't have a script all laid out 12 years ago, but shaped his story with his actors, how THEY changed, how the world changed from year to year, and taking what they could bring to their performances into account. If Ellar Coltrane isn't the most expressive actor, especially during his teens, well, neither is Mason, the character he plays, and so on. Though I'm of the parents' generation rather than Mason's, Boyhood put me in flashback mode right from the start. I, too, am from a broken home, have a sister, and spent some time in Texas as a kid (and the similarities don't end there), but I think everyone who's ever grown up (and that's all of us adults) will find truth here. And that's Boyhood's true power - it puts something we've all be through in a new context.
jktomas's avatar

jktomas

Too much action and special effects, whole movie felt like a video game.
Rdgz_Dust_Speck's avatar

Rdgz_Dust_Speck

Critical Review in spanish / Reseña Crítica en español:

MrPredator's avatar

MrPredator

epic. one of the best movies ever made.
Pete Concrete's avatar

Pete Concrete

A boring film about boring people doing boring things in their boring lifes. The most mundane, banal and uninspired film ever to gain critical acclaim and popularity.
spongemoon's avatar

spongemoon

Disappointing and boring... Nothing special about it at all besides the circumstances it was filmed in
jmars's avatar

jmars

This movie is about the opposite of seizing the moment. It's about the moment seizing you. And the moments just keep on coming, moment after moment. It is like life: it is not about where it's going, or what you learn along the way, though there is meaning there too. It's about each moment as it happens, the here and now, and then it is over.
Joao_Carlos's avatar