Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

Nicely shot, decent script (perhaps a bit too infused with 20th century sensibilities, though). The film justifies its epic running length; nothing felt padded. Love affair between Mel and Sophie Marceau was gratuitous and felt tacked on. Cast is fairly bland. Was Gibson ever a good actor?
lineuphere's avatar

lineuphere

I suppose if this is one of your first war films, you'll enjoy it, but after you've taken on even a handful of far superior war films like The Battle of Algiers, Apocalypse Now, or Paths of Glory, this one (with grumpy old Gibson casting himself as a 25 year-old) will just seem silly.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

Well, all in all not such a bad movie.

Probably the best thing about it is the absolutely wonderful soundtrack - me and my friends used to love listening to it years before I even saw the movie. The landscapes are beautiful as well... though I hear lots of it was shot outside of Scotland.

All in all, a basically interesting storyline - sadly with some historical inaccuracies. Some minor characters were a bit one-dimensional, but I liked Hamish and Robert the Bruce and also the crazy Irish guy.

I'm a bit torn when it comes to Mel Gibson's performance here... although I liked the battlesome and slightly crazy attitude (esp. when his face was painted blue) there were other scenes that didn't really appeal to me. Generally OK, though.

OK entertainment, not bad, not exceptionally good either. And not one I'd necessarily want to watch a second time.
KPND's avatar

KPND

Ugh. Almost everything in this movie is just made up; it's about as accurate a history of Great Britain as... Eragon!

Dripping with propaganda from that nutjob Gibson.
MrCarmady's avatar

MrCarmady

Awful film. Not only dull but also extremely biased and manipulative.
KloVero's avatar

KloVero

This movie talks more about America than about Scotland. The word freedom is the first ingredient to make american patriotism vibrate. (I'm still in shock that they dare did that ending spoiler seriously ? it cannot be more cliché.) Then you have the cult of a leader, the true chief we should all wait before taking our own lifes into our hands. Yeah right, they fight for freedom but Wallace is the only one talking about it, all they do is yell his name. Plus that beautiful Christ scene at the end, and he perished for our sakes, amen. You add some love scenes that don't make any sense, thanks to the lack of dimension of any character (dude they don't know each others!) and a lot of blooding scenes, you've got yourself a movie that will sells! Yes of course some beautiful shots, emotional music, they know what to do to keep their public entertained, and they have all that money ! Give as much money and ressources to any director and then we can compare the result ! Sorry for the bashing, this film was way too much american for what I'm able to bear. I understand some can just enjoy it and that's fine.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Some interesting historical facts, but most exaggerated just to hollywoodize the story
chiaro's avatar

chiaro

Completely historically inaccurate, but makes for a good film.
owliesomething's avatar

owliesomething

Ashrzr, you say that any war film that isn't biased would be boring. I disagree. Watch The Battle of Algiers.
MrWallace's avatar

MrWallace

Wow, 7185 checks and only 446 favorites? ...
alistans's avatar

alistans

this movie is just a mel gibson egotrip it is so bad
Larkspire's avatar

Larkspire

I appreciate that there's a reason for the length, but I'd have enjoyed this more if it was much shorter. The first 40 minutes or so could definitely have been cut down.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Terrific drama. Well acted, directed and staged with some brutal fights. Also great music score.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

I don´t understand nothing of Scoutland history, but I don´t need it to understand that this movie is one of the best movies that I had have the pleasure to watch, epic movie
4.5/5
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

Empowering and absolutely beautiful.