dorkusmalorkus's avatar

dorkusmalorkus

A brilliantly told story about war, defeat, and human nature featuring some spectacular performances. I highly recommend this film, particularly to anyone who likes "Letters from Iwo Jima" (by the end of "Downfall", Prof. Dr. Ernst-Günter Schenck proves to be a German version of Saigo, and the two films have similar messages about the value of human life.)
Malena's avatar

Malena

Bruno Ganz was a very convincing Adolf Hitler! Harfouch as Mrs Goebbels left on me a remarkable impression especially the suicide scene. I thought about it for days.
4lcatraz's avatar

4lcatraz

This is history.

The beginning and the ending are the best parts of the movie, and I'm saying this because it has a few boring moments.

Memorable acting by Bruno Ganz as Hitler

Worth watching.
abraxas's avatar

abraxas

my definite favourite. the last days of him were intresting. An empire falls , they just dance , cheer then commit suicide.
demagogo's avatar

demagogo

After watching some Hollywood, I always end amazed at the way Germans portrait shady aspects of their own past. Not every single Nazi is a fanatical sadist, and, as if by magic, Soviet soldiers are not portrayed as animals, nor as the oportunistic ones who seized the hard work done by Americans.

Overall the film is pretty good, but I think the dialogues Hitler had with their generals got a bit overused, though. In my opinion, Ganz's wasn't that great. Probably, the character was a bit overacted sometimes, but you couldn't tell since Hitler it's definitely not the easiest, unless you wanna play caricatures.

In general, a great movie.
cal2391's avatar

cal2391

Incredible film. Ganz is peerless in portraying Hitler as the man behind der Führer.
Holden7's avatar

Holden7

Holy shit.
Worth the runtime.
ashy's avatar

ashy

I certainly would never list this movie as a "favorite" as I can't see myself watching it a second time, but it held my attention and was very well done. Definitely recommended.
Fluegi's avatar

Fluegi

From the first to the last scene I was depressed, but I couldn't take my eyes of it. Great movie!
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Incredible movie. Horrifying yet fascinating at the same time.