MathianSim's avatar

MathianSim

The best buddie movie ever.
airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

Its truly amazing feeling to watch such an old movie in cinema - it gives you extra emotions.
I loved the film so much! It's so delicate, funny, musical.
R. Benigni made me laugh all the time.
Tom Waits was extraordinary and crazy so much.
To sum up: one of the greatest comedies i've ever seen.
Best compliments to J. Jarmusch once again.

Jim Jarmusch is the king of offbeat decisions, and Down by Law is a good example - the characters, the pacing, the choice of what to look at, everything takes a left when another movie would take a right. Indeed, bifurcation is one of the themes. Three men make a wrong decision and find themselves in a Louisiana parish jail (mostly on bum raps), Robert Frost is evoked, and the film ends on a fork in the road (and the third choice of not moving at all). And no closure. In a final twist, the audience is left to its own devices and asked to decide which path is the better one. A jazzy atmosphere pervades, a music of many paths. I'm not entirely convinced by the free-form plot, but the cinematography often makes up for the film's listlessness - clever lighting cues, wonderful bayou shots in nitrate silver... I think my main problem is probably with Roberto Benigni, who I don't find that funny, or for the most part, intelligible (though I love his dance at the end), but his energy is a good contrast to Tom Waits' and John Lurie's, who are, first and foremost, musicians (who, in fact, collaborated on the score). Their stillness makes them the better actors here.
ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

All I have to do is see Roberto Benigni and I start to laugh! He doesn’t even have to utter a word. I must admit though, this was not one of my favorites of his although it was a good movie. Love the way the guys interacted and grew to not only tolerate each other, but become friends because of their circumstances.
acoltismypassport's avatar