BeasleyOnFilm's avatar

BeasleyOnFilm

Karloff injects a surprising amount of warmth into the monster actually. It only works if you see it as completely different to the book.
caley's avatar

caley

It's surprisingly sad.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

Well I finally understood of what movie this scene came from

image

A classic of horror that at this day it donĀ“t seems so scary like it probably was back then.

3.5/5
myrnawilliams's avatar

myrnawilliams

it's surprisingly sad. [2]
Auz's avatar

Auz

I do agree that as a standalone film it's pretty good and I can see that it definitely left a mark on pop culture.

However, I also have to agree with kellyoung that this is absolutely terrible as an interpretation of the book. Nothing that made the original story deep, interesting and horrifying is in here and the monster in the film is about the worst character portrayal I've ever seen in a film.

I don't like to throw in phrases like "The book is better" when judging a film(s plot), because I understand a film can never tell a story as deep and elaborate the way a book can. But in this particular case it is absolutely true.
Woliver's avatar

Woliver

Oh boy, so what if it's way too different from the original book plot? IT IS A MOVIE! Is not supposed to be a video-book!
It's absurd to claim "but the book was better" both are different thing's, or was the comic book better than the operetta? Pfff! Stop being pretentious guys, you obviously don't read neither see enough movies.
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

Would have liked this to have been the first Frankenstein adaptation that I saw. It was good, not particularly great. Book is much better - not always something that needs to be said but I feel that it does here.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

much better than dracula!
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

it's sad to be a monster
E. T. Blunt's avatar

E. T. Blunt

Proof that society oftentimes sees the monster in the creation, not the creator.
9 months 1 week ago
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

I feel like it could have used a soundtrack. The pace and tone of the film feels somewhat off with just sheer silence punctuating the screen. Karloff does a good job portraying the monster.
9 months 4 weeks ago

Universal's Frankenstein, with Boris Karloff, came out in 1931, just like Dracula, its cousin franchise, did, and I'm happy to report it doesn't suffer from a similar slowness. Of course, it's not the Mary Shelley novel. I find her book to be astonishing in that it creates an entirely new Gothic monster, not one pulled from folklore like vampires, werewolves, etc. Universal's version does that too, because its child-like, but dangerously strong monster with an "abnormal brain" is completely different from Shelley's existential "Modern Prometheus". It's worth celebrating its originality and sustained popularity. The film is well shot, the violence shocking without being overwhelming, the make-up iconic, and the monster sympathetic. I might question the mix of American and European accents in what appears to be Gothic Bavaria, but overall, Frankenstein retains its power and does not feel as dated as Dracula.
fakirfikir's avatar

fakirfikir

One of the best scenario I have ever watched.
Also this is our(humanity's) first (fictional) AI experience in modern times. Awsome movie, must-watched.

It is interesting how writer fictionalized AI and how humanity respond it (in a most bigoted and irrational way)
SLionsCricket's avatar

SLionsCricket

Great storyline, good performances, well paced, interesting yet lacks tension. 3.5/5
roobin_22's avatar

roobin_22

d'oh this is awful.. liked the part with the drowning girl though..