Chikamaharry's avatar

Chikamaharry

Great Nolan film. Is it his best? Not sure. I'd like to say yes, but that's probably just because of my love of space and sience. Which this movie had a lot of, and it was actually great. It some points our sience doesn't cover whatever's happening, and then it becomes fiction. Sience fiction.

The visuals were stunning. Love how Nolan mixes practical stuff and CGI. To be honest, I do not really know what was CGI in this movie. It all just felt so natural. I heard that this movie was made without green-screen technology. That's insane. I Sci-fi movie without green-screen!

It was also a very emotional film. I felt like it, compared to other Nolan movies, were toned a bit down, and had a more emotional core. It deals a lot with relativity and it's consequences. Matthew McConaughey was insanely good. He just keeps floating on that sky of success he is on. Can't wait for whatever he will be doing next. Anne Hathaway was great too. I have always liked her, but I heard that some people who earlier had a problem with her really liked her in this one. The child version of Jessica Chastain also did a very good job. One of the better child actors I have seen in a while. Rest of the cast also did a good enough job, but other than the three I mentioned, no one really stands out.

If I had to critizise something, I has to be the soundtrack. Felt like it missed sometimes, playing up scenes that didn't mean that much, and beeing to intense. All up in your face. Gave some of the intense scenes less of a punch. Feel like that has become a problem with Hans Zimmers scores, lately. Also, why does every Nolan film have to end neatly tied up with a bow?

But, all in all, it is a phenomenal movie. The acadamy won't like it, but it just won the oscar for best picture in my heart.
flickoholic's avatar

flickoholic

I usually like to discuss movies afterwards but I don't know what to say after seeing this film. If you put the visuals of this film and the ideas behind Contact into one film, you would have the best space scifi ever made.
boulderman's avatar

boulderman

Saw it at the cinema. Seen it once since.

I realised the planet had 130% gravity earth. Astronauts returning need a week to get their strength back so they should have been immobile on that planet :/ 8/10
gama_jr's avatar

gama_jr

Another fucking happy ending.

Seems that Moffat have done that book closet crap.
Aissi's avatar

Aissi

Soooo loooong.

Nolan's Interstellar, clocking in at almost three hours, could have been shortened if he'd tamed his propensity for characters exposing his themes, but I was never bored, and do realize this is probably how he sells big budget thinking man's SF to mainstream audiences who can sustain them. The film posits a bleak near future and a space mission to find humanity a new home. It's told on both an epic and a personal scale, at its heart focusing on the relationship between Matthew McConaughey's astronaut and his daughter, a relationship that moves strangely through time due to relativistic effects. I wasn't sure the climax worked in the context of all the hard SF on show, but I think I'm okay with it. Nolan justly juxtaposes Earth and space action so that they mirror one another and keep you invested in both. Oh and awesome monolith robots, just one of the many references to 2001: A Space Odyssey (and 2010 for that matter). Nolan owes a lot to those films here.
Prof. Lumpcicle's avatar

Prof. Lumpcicle

Enjoyed the intellectual side just not the emotional.
Paulorsadv's avatar

Paulorsadv

Christopher Nolan the megalomaniacal.
micheal's avatar

micheal

Amazing!!
MrDoog's avatar

MrDoog

Pretty good movie. This is almost certainly Nolan's most ambitious film to date, though far from his best.

Fantastic visuals and brilliant special effects that had me feeling a sense of wonder I probably haven't experienced since I was a child. Excellent cast and interesting story (though not being physicist I won't even try ascertain whether or not there are holes in the science) Some say it was too long, but to me it was as long as it needed to be.

However...
I'm a big fan of Nolan's movies and sadly I can't help but think he's going through director's block or some such. By that I mean Interstellar follows the exact same formula as most of his previous works including the repeated grand reveal at the end, and much like TDK Rises, this lends a sense of things simply playing out to the formula and ticking the boxes now that we've familiarized ourselves with the routine.

Other criticisms would have to include the sound / music, which was terrible. It was needlessly loud and much of it just seemed downright out of place. It would be a relief to see Nolan make a few films without Zimmer. Additionally, much of the dialogue was basic - and that's putting it kindly.

Anyway, a very enjoyable cinematic experience but I doubt I'll ever bother watching it on home media.
vendetta's avatar

vendetta

film may not be nolan's best.....but surely one of the best works...in recent years....visually stunning....amazing thought...first of its kind...
Borvaran's avatar

Borvaran

To me, the film it was worth it, since has been two days already and I'm still making so many questions.
KuroSawWhat's avatar

KuroSawWhat

If you are looking for a good, old-fashioned space opera, with heavy attention given to scientific accuracy, you will find it in Interstellar.

Much like George Lucas in the early days, what Christopher Nolan has given us, here, is artistic larceny on a grand scale--that is to say, the sincerest form of flattery. From the obvious visual victims, such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, to the more obscure emotional undercurrents of Voices of a Distant Star, Interstellar is a whirlwind tour of excellent sci-fi films, trussed up in fancy new packaging.

This is not a film for the impatient, as it is a slow burner, indeed. However, as a fan of classic science-fiction, I loved it.
God's avatar

God

rust cohle in a space suit? hell yes
KJha's avatar

KJha

A movie full of unexpectations, an overwhelming music which made me shake in various occasions, a touch of science (even if sometimes it is a little bit far-fetched) and a deeply moving plot.
Simply incredible!