Paulorsadv's avatar

Paulorsadv

Christopher Nolan the megalomaniacal.
zaolee's avatar

zaolee

Too much fantasy, not enough scifi. Ending was beyond cringe. I assume they wanted cheesy love story but it turned out to be cheesy and nonsensical.
Beingtaki's avatar

Beingtaki

Interstellar is not a movie. It's a religion, in which some believe and some don't.
Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

For the first two hours, one of the great sci-fi movies of the 21st century. Then Nolan's penchant for world-building over story clarity dooms him again.
gobberpooper's avatar

gobberpooper

Visually amazing. I'm sure it was a tour de force on IMAX. I felt like I was the dad on Kenan and Kel, because every 10 minutes I said "Why!?"

So many questionable choices in this script, and each one on its own wouldve been meh but altogether it made me regret spending nearly 3 hours watching it.

Fantastic directing, knockout acting, I couldnt even tell it was Ann Hathaway. Amazing CGI, and the high points of the movie were so good that it didn't matter that they didn't make sense, they were that good.

But when I didn't like it, man oh man, did I not like it. I'm so polarized on it.

I can't recommend you watch it or don't watch it, but I can recommend it's a good background movie, and probably good to trip to if you skip the first half of the movie.
Piku_1999's avatar

Piku_1999

A really good, ambitious film. The third act ruins its chances of being truly great, but that doesn't undermine the rest of the film. McConaughey was incredible, so was Mackenzie, and the visuals are truly gorgeous. An amazing cinematic experience.
burythehammer's avatar

burythehammer

I do like the fact there's a popular movie about the future of humanity that doesn't feel the need to fill every other scene with masses of space lasers and explosions. (well, apart from 2001)

There are some very touching scenes in this, and I like the overall premise, but towards the end, the whole thing starts to feel very hammy and preposterous. There's a lot of Chekov's gun action going on here, mysterious plot points that get forgotten and magically fix everything at a later point.

I particularly liked the use of time dilation as a plot device. It made sense, it was clever, it's mostly accurate scientifically, and I definitely haven't seen it done as well as this before.

It's a good, but flawed, movie, which is sad because Nolan is obviously capable of better.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

Wonderful movie - absolutely measured up to my expectations; maybe it was even better.

It's a great story with some very imaginative elements and very appealing, interesting, stunning pictures. The rather long running time was absolutely fine; the story stayed interesting and it never seemed dragged out.

Emotionally the movie was extremely touching - cried several times. Wonderful acting, especially by Matthew McConaughey, whom I used to greatly underestimate until I saw "Dallas Buyers Club". Still, "Interstellar" also contained enough humor to make some scenes real good fun.

Respect - definitely a movie I'd recommend to anyone who likes this genre even a little bit.
Glnk's avatar

Glnk

Wanted to go see this in the cinema but went to another movie instead. Now I seen it on bluray I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. The movie is good but not great. The scene in the bookcase was far fetched and I guess not for me. So, I had high expectations but it didn't quite live up to it.

Am I the only one who hated (understatement) the farmer accent of the main actor?
Tezelian's avatar

Tezelian

Interstellar blew my mind into the 4th dimension and made me wake up in the future
MoutardedShroom's avatar

MoutardedShroom

The movie was okay (way better than the "breathtaking" Gravity. Yay visuals but man are these stories weak...). Too cheesy. Too long. As some are saying, if Nolan had taken half an hour out of this movie it would've improved beyond the dying of the light.

Oh, and the famous plot twist everyone talks about is monstrously obvious since minute 5 or so.

Go watch Europa Report. sci-fi done right
nowhereman136's avatar

nowhereman136

Any science that didnt make sense was chalked up to either Aliens (not really aliens, but i wont spoil it) or conveniently not mentioned (how do the hibernation chambers work? how do you defy gravity for an entire space station?) The science that was explained turned out to be all correct, good job movie. But then again, im not an astrophysicist, so what do i know.

It was a seriously good, and grand, movie
Chikamaharry's avatar

Chikamaharry

Great Nolan film. Is it his best? Not sure. I'd like to say yes, but that's probably just because of my love of space and sience. Which this movie had a lot of, and it was actually great. It some points our sience doesn't cover whatever's happening, and then it becomes fiction. Sience fiction.

The visuals were stunning. Love how Nolan mixes practical stuff and CGI. To be honest, I do not really know what was CGI in this movie. It all just felt so natural. I heard that this movie was made without green-screen technology. That's insane. I Sci-fi movie without green-screen!

It was also a very emotional film. I felt like it, compared to other Nolan movies, were toned a bit down, and had a more emotional core. It deals a lot with relativity and it's consequences. Matthew McConaughey was insanely good. He just keeps floating on that sky of success he is on. Can't wait for whatever he will be doing next. Anne Hathaway was great too. I have always liked her, but I heard that some people who earlier had a problem with her really liked her in this one. The child version of Jessica Chastain also did a very good job. One of the better child actors I have seen in a while. Rest of the cast also did a good enough job, but other than the three I mentioned, no one really stands out.

If I had to critizise something, I has to be the soundtrack. Felt like it missed sometimes, playing up scenes that didn't mean that much, and beeing to intense. All up in your face. Gave some of the intense scenes less of a punch. Feel like that has become a problem with Hans Zimmers scores, lately. Also, why does every Nolan film have to end neatly tied up with a bow?

But, all in all, it is a phenomenal movie. The acadamy won't like it, but it just won the oscar for best picture in my heart.
flickoholic's avatar

flickoholic

I usually like to discuss movies afterwards but I don't know what to say after seeing this film. If you put the visuals of this film and the ideas behind Contact into one film, you would have the best space scifi ever made.
Adamov10's avatar