Brantastic16's avatar

Brantastic16

It surprised me. I didn't expect to like much, especially since I usually don't like Cher. To my surprise, she was the highlight of the movie and totally deserved her academy award. 8/10
Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

This is the only movie where Nic doesn't look weird. Which is weird. But kudos.
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

This is a weird movie. I felt just like Cher after the first act of that opera: "I like parts of it, but I just don't get it".
asiangotrice's avatar

asiangotrice

I LOVE this film. I felt as though I was watching a poorly written book come to life as a comedy.
Panunzio's avatar

Panunzio

I went into this expecting a fairly straightforward romantic comedy. I was not prepared for something quite as quirky, offbeat, and generally fun as this one turned out to be. There are some genuinely poignant moments sprinkled throughout as well. I finished this one with a big grin on my face.

Nic Cage is being his wacky self, of course. Easily a highlight.
mrm2541's avatar

mrm2541

I may simply not get it, but I really don't think this movie deserves all this praise.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

My parents used to like this and I used to hate it.. I think I will keep hating it

Moonstruck was one of the few Oscar contenders I saw when, as a 16-year-old, I was reviewing movies for a youth-produced public access television program, and I remember giving it a good report even if probably wasn't really targeted at a teenage boy. In fact, it's such a third-act romcom that I can't imagine what Kid Siskoid would have said about it. Adult Siskoid also enjoyed it, at any rate. Moonstruck moves beyond its formulaic premise by presenting several couples past their prime (Cher and her romantic triangle with brothers played by Danny Aiello and ever-askew Nick Cage are the youngest, but still consider themselves past the time for passionate romance), each taking a different route. Olympia Dukakis is especially affecting as Cher's mother who, like everyone else, gets a second shot, but is perhaps too adult to take it. A lot of great lines and moments, sometimes getting a laugh, often getting a smile, and the sort of operatic backdrop and soundtrack that makes these small events resonate more strongly. I suspect Teen Siskoid liked this because he was told by proper critics to like it, or else was famished for even competent film making that year (you should see the list of what I forced myself to see that year), but he somehow knew what he was talking about. It's in the little profundities for me now.
Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

Cher was actually good here, in a way that she has never been before or since. Nicolas Cage is bad, but we've come to recognize that as par for the course.

Has more substance than the average romcom. Literate and sophisticated.
AndrewB's avatar

AndrewB

quote:
: Do you love him, Loretta?

Aw, ma, I love him awful.

Oh, God, that's too bad.
Deus's avatar

Deus

Cage overplaying, script over-naive, cher is charming. strange tail without antagonist aboard
Windill's avatar

Windill

A very good one, although I may recognize that Nicolas Cage is overplaying.
Good old Italian-American romance comedy. Nice to see them without the gangster thing, for once!
Princess_Of_Snails's avatar

Princess_Of_Snails

"SHNAP OUT OF IT!" :P
Starlight-'s avatar

Starlight-

I think I'd like this film if it weren't for Nic Cage...his acting is just so bad.
Cher is great though!
iawia's avatar

iawia

What an odd romantic comedy. (Odd is good.)