BeasleyOnFilm's avatar

BeasleyOnFilm

Orlok is a genuinely creepy-looking villain and every scene with him in is a frightening delight, especially as his shadow menacingly climbs the stairs at the end. Other than that, it's crushingly dull.
kaffy's avatar

kaffy

The film itself is surprisingly sophisticated from that I was expecting, but the "remastered" music is downright painful. I wish I could find a copy with the original music instead of this ridiculous synth xylophone crap. It's like listening to a PBS documentary about a crayon factory.
TravisSMcClain's avatar

TravisSMcClain

Just saw this for the first time via Netflix streaming. The film itself is astounding; very dynamic, and Orlock is one of the most genuinely menacing screen villains I've ever seen.

One caveat: the variety of recently recorded scores makes it quite a gamble for viewing purposes. The version we streamed (touted as "The Original Version," no less) featured some New Age sounding nonsense that was clearly recorded well after the film was produced and was so bad it detracted from our viewing experience.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

The proof that Germans invented the horror genre in films, and that's why is so important and deserves to be among the best of its genre. Other recommended horror German silent movie is Das Cabinett des Dr Caligari
preparingup's avatar

preparingup

Count Orlok is kind of cute.
Look at his face. He looks so confused.
Big A2's avatar

Big A2

A lot of complaining about the music going on here. The version I watched (Region 4 Mad Man DVD) had the original score, and it was great. It's not Metropolis-level quality or anything but it gets the job done; very atmospheric and tense. I believe the most recent Kino DVD also has the 1922 score.

Skip the cheap/free public domain versions and see it proper. The score for the one on YouTube is a complete joke.
CrumbThumber's avatar

CrumbThumber

obviously a classic. obviously a must see for any real film enthusiast. But like all silent films, or even before color, it isn't for everyone.
Paper_Okami's avatar

Paper_Okami

I disagree SW,young people don't get enough credit and old people get too much. I am 18 and I know plenty of people my age and younger who love classic films. In fact many middle aged and older people wouldn't like this. I am not sure if my parents would like it.
Armoreska's avatar

Armoreska

I've grabbed a number of versions to compare them, but the KINO/Transit Film DVD seems like the best of them, all the others have cropped scenes and/or look bad
oddly's avatar

oddly

better to watch after midnight when you're alone at home.
Quatrus's avatar

Quatrus

Saw it in my local theatre last night. And it was a very good movie. Although some times it lost my attention, but I think it was primarily because of the music which was at times not very eerie but rather comical. It probably depends on which version you see. The version I saw also named the vampire count Dracula instead of Orlok, probably due to the copyright.
Rigters's avatar

Rigters

First Dracula-related movie I've seen. Great story, and what about the direction of the movie? It's fascinating to think this was made almost 100 years ago and has all the tricks they continue to use in cinema. Classic!

Creepy Nosferatu!

Didn't liked the music, though. It's supposed to be scary, but it wasn't. The original was better for sure. Too bad this movie was almost forgotten, and had to be restored.
CynInFlicks's avatar

CynInFlicks

Wonderful to see this on the big screen with live piano accompaniment by Neil Brand as part of Cambridge Film Festival 2013!
super312's avatar

super312

Don't know what score netflix uses, but I really enjoyed it. Way creepier than I expected.
Nintendude94's avatar

Nintendude94

My 6 year old sister watched this with me and loved it.