jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Jesse Eisenberg gives an awesome performance.
Charlotte94's avatar

Charlotte94

Andrew Garfield pretty much steels every scene he's in.
O-Critic's avatar

O-Critic

Everyone says "overrated", but I don't. I love this movie. I watched it over and over, and it still fascinates me how much I get out of it. Also, I find it interesting how a lot of people who cry "overrated" are the same people who say "Inception" was the best of 2010.

Initially didn't interest me because, you know, I refused to go on Facebook at the time, but I was convinced by the movie's pedigree, namely director David Fincher and writer Aaron Sorkin. I do make a point to see practically everything these two guys have done. I wasn't disappointed in the least. The script and direction are of course, top notch, and the acting isn't too shabby either. I love a film that's thematically resonant, and The Social Network delivers on that front too, as the way practically every character is written says something - ironic or not - about their inventions or role in said invention. There's an entire essay in there if I can ever write it.
mowgli1337's avatar

mowgli1337

The spectacle is at its peak and they have managed to get the document to be really interesting. The dialogues are what drive the film forward
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

This is a film that quite grew on me the second time around. I began to see what people were talking about with Jesse Eisenberg's performance. It's subtle, but he says a lot with tiny gestures and his posture. If you focus on the ambition/vengeance, new business model in an old business world side of the story, the film is much more interesting.

I can't agree more with @Eddyspeeder though. I would have liked to have seen this movie made in another 5 to 10 years simply to delve into deeper issues of social change, but, it's possible by then that something like Facebook could be gone.
Dolwphin's avatar

Dolwphin

A whole new genre; taking some known current guy and make up some stuff freely from the imagination. Ingenious idea. I'm excitingly waiting for the movie where Julian Assange founded WikiLeaks and then fights aliens in the Andromeda Galaxy. Or a Swedish variant where Stieg Larsson writes insatiable successful detective novels, dies, but is resurrected and will receive the 10 Commandments in the Israeli desert. The possibilities are endless, the only limit is your imagination
jktomas's avatar

jktomas

Meh. But it might be my own problem, because I don't like movies about making money and I don't care about facebook at all (I have an account, but I don't use it).
I wasn't interested in this movie when I saw a trailer, I wasn't interested while I watched the film and I am not intersted in watching it ever again. It wasn't actually boring, it was just not interesting (if that makes sense).
Technicly, it's a good film. Well made, well acted etc. But it really lacked humanity, in my oppinion. Only by the end of the film I started to actually feel something. But that's the reason why I don't like movies about buisness and making money.
I don't recommend this movie and I sincerely hope it won't win the main academy award.
galactic_mice's avatar

galactic_mice

idk if many people will think this film is overrated. as for me, it's a great film and worth to watch. i don't really care about how the technicalities of facebook growth but what i saw in this film is the friendship-betrayal relationship between Eduardo and Mark. this film is inspiring people to look closely on how simple idea can lead to greater one. and I love Jesse's performance, i think he should play a character of a debater sort of thing. he's good.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

Impressive performances across the board from the cast, and I agree with Gunnar that the rowing scene was a standout scene of film-making. Still, in the end, it's a good movie but not a great movie. Something about it all just seems a bit dry.
Communicants's avatar

Communicants

The Brocial Network.
Flapster_NL's avatar

Flapster_NL

I thought this movie would be quite uninteresting, but I was happily surprised that it was, in fact, not.

The Social Network sheds some light onto the development and growth of facebook. It also presents the social interactions and people that were involved in the creation and popularization of facebook. Though the movie does not just 'go through the motions', it fails to really move beyond Zuckerberg, Saverin the Winklevoss twins.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this movie to others. Especially noting facebook's cultural relevance.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

such a great film!!!!!
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Facebook's story is quite interesting..
undivided_self's avatar