Ares Capeta's avatar

Ares Capeta

A horror movie where the monster is capitalism.
Mojobaby's avatar

Mojobaby

Masterpiece. Nothing less.
Windill's avatar

Windill

I felt that it was an average movie, depicting a typical paranoid character without adding anything special to the long gallery of portraits of the same kind.
I'm ok with slow pace, as long as the suspense or the atmosphere make it enjoyable. But I found the story banal, the filmmaking formulaic, the music annoying and the whole experience rather boring.
Finally, and once again with Paul Thomas Anderson: where are the women?
misterderp's avatar

misterderp

This is a better Howard Hughes biography than The Aviator, and it's not even about Howard Hughes.
tyrion68's avatar

tyrion68

Acted well, but cynicism and nihilism can never make a great movie. Up to this movie I loved Paul Thomas Anderson for his humanism, e.g. in Magnolia and "Boogie Nights". With this one he turned a corner. Neither "There Will Be Blood" nor The Master did anything for me.

P.T. Anderson's There Will Be Blood looks to be his most mature work, in the sense that it avoids his usual cinematic gimmicks, and has the cleanest language out of everything he's done. It's also gorgeously filmed - the wealth of information on screen made me think of Ridley Scott at times - and as is usual for PTA, fairly long. But it's really Daniel Day-Lewis' show. He's magnetic and creates a vivid character in oil man Daniel Plainview. This story is also about a crucial change in the American psyche: The shift from religious faith to economic faith. Plainview is Free Enterprise's messiah, and a devilish one at that.
der Zorn Gottes's avatar

der Zorn Gottes

The best film out of Hollywood ever. This film has some of the best cinematography ever, and the score is absolutely mind-blowing, almost literally, that opening tune and the first drilling scene.... Mhmmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmh, it gets in your head!

And all the praises for Daniel-Day Lewis aren't for nothing, he is astonishing in this film, his presence is absolutely immense. Without a doubt, he's the main power in this film, but Paul Dano does a respectable role too. Even the child actor couldn't ruin this film, since they made him deaf/mute, great choice, should be made obligatory in cinema.

It's a shame that Paul Thomas Anderson hasn't managed to reach the level of this movie ever since, nor did he before. Guess it was just a fluke, since the rest of his movies are only decent at best, nothing close to the greatness of this movie. There has been some great scenes in some of his movies, mostly including Joaquin Phoenix, but I guess it was the power of DDL that truly made this movie extraordinary.

Daniel Plainview just might be the greatest character ever written to film, the greed that drives the man is so beautiful. The fact that there's a plethora of different ways you can interpret this movie makes it really enjoyable. The way I like to interpret it, is that all he really wants is to amass a great fortune so he would never have to deal with people ever again, and I think there is something almost admirable in that, just like this film depicts people in Plainview's life, everyone always has an agenda, or they're just simpletons that wish that some greater force leads them to happiness. There's supposed to be sadness to his story, but maybe I'm too much of an asshole to see it.

This movie was such a breath of fresh air, Hollywood hadn't produced decent films in ages, and only Whiplash has come anywhere close ever since, but just like in Whiplash, the cancer that is known as social media managed to ruin some of the greatness in this film too, by memeing some of the great scenes in it. If only I had the drive to amass a fortune so I could fortify myself into a mansion with my private bowling alley...

quote:
I don't want to talk about those things. I see the worst in people, Henry. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built up my hatreds over the years, little by little. Having you here gives me a second breath of life. I can't keep doing this on my own... with these, umm... people.
Tiago Costa's avatar

Tiago Costa

5 /5
spongemoon's avatar

spongemoon

My favourite film! Absolute masterpiece.
Anakin Skywalker's avatar

Anakin Skywalker

best movie of the decade!
Hippiemans's avatar

Hippiemans

Kudos to Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. The latter should have won an Oscar as well. The last two scenes are absolutely brilliant!
V012's avatar

V012

This film should be a handbook on how to make a masterpiece
suzybishop's avatar

suzybishop

Outstanding performance by DDL and Paul Dano. PTA films have a special place in my heart; especially this one.
moonsicle's avatar

moonsicle

Much credit given to DD Lewis and rightly so but Paul Dano's performance is where it's at.
Jinkla's avatar

Jinkla

daniel plainviews character coupled with D.D. Lewis' performance are what keep me coming back to this film. i'd never thought that would be enough of a reason to label a film as my favorite, but there it is.

to anyone planning on watching this film, let it be known that the story doesn't exactly follow a conventional plot, it's more about the unfolding of a character and his descent into avarice. the oil fire scene acts as a catalyst for the descent, so expect a slow (BUT NECESSARY) start.

if you havn't seen this film, i implor you to just spend two hours of your life to witnessing one of the greatest anti-heroes to ever be put on screen.
10/10