GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

It's so well done, but I couldn't bring myself to like it given the way it ended. Beyond being honestly somwhat bored throughout most of it (as others have mentioned, it's pretty cliched), the ending gives out all the wrong vibes. spoiler So, yeah, thouroughly disquieting. And please keep in mind that I just saw it. I may soften up on it with time. As of now, it made me feel sick after the one scene I shouldn't have.

Just remember, kids, don't just push yourself, do it so hard you get into a car accident!
aussieflickfan's avatar

aussieflickfan

Really good, though as a drummer myself, I wished the editing of the playing sections had been better. That is nit picking, though.

What a friend of mine called Rocky with a drum kit, and I couldn't come up with anything more clever than that. It's got great music, of course, and J.K. Simmons' performance is a great as they say it is. I want to coach improv the same way he does jazz - and I realize I almost already do, give or take some of the abuse; I do believe you need to push someone hard if they're going to be great - even though the film is somewhat ambivalent about his methods. Or is it? Maybe not so much. If anything, it makes true genius terrifying, whether you seek it, or know somehow who has it. That said, it's not a complex picture. The story is simple and the subplots don't necessarily lead anywhere. In that sense, it's a lot like its thesis - some things are just not important if you pursue your goal as single-mindedly as its protagonists do.
zombierobo's avatar

zombierobo

I dont know anything about music except to listen and enjoy it. So, much of the film didnt make any sense to me. Enjoyed the Music and the tension between the student and the teacher.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

The movie has a truckload of great things going for it but one of the things that really stuck out for me was the flow of the scenes and the plot. The scenes are nearly seamless, it just feels so natural and organic the way the movie goes through its motions not unlike a selection of finely tuned music.

The themes of the thirst for fame are well handled and stirs up some really interesting emotions. A reminder that glory is always fleeting no matter how hard or how long you hold on.
Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

The first two thirds proceed like a combination of "Showgirls on Drums meets The Karate Kid on Drums". The third act takes it down a different path, before the standard, but beautifully executed ending.
Reira-chan's avatar

Reira-chan

Bloody brilliant!
Sarahx30stm's avatar

Sarahx30stm

Absolutely, without a doubt a great film. Watch it on a big screen with good (and loud) speakers to experience it at its best.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Terrific drama about jazz and obsession!!! Really good!
zheller667's avatar

zheller667

A David Fincher style thriller built around a drum set
MarthaMay's avatar

MarthaMay

A really stellar contribution to the long tradition of mentors-from-hell type movies that include The Red Shoes, Black Swan and such.

"It's essentially a music tuition movie that plays out like a war movie. It's Full Metal Hi-Hat." - Mark Kermode
BadFluffy's avatar

BadFluffy

Much needed proof that a movie can be outstanding if the writing, directing and acting are top notch and that it doesn't need millions in special effects or action scenes to hold your attention. 9/10
Tiago Costa's avatar

Tiago Costa

My mind exploded watching this movie.

My heart is still pounding.

My body is still shivering.

I saw Whiplash almost 24 hours ago.
slackhead's avatar

slackhead

"Are you rushing or are you dragging?"
Dewsions's avatar

Dewsions

I really have no words, such an intense journey and filled with a mixture of emotions.